December 12, 2012 | Tower Hill Insurance

Share this Post

It’s widely known that holly, mistletoe, and poinsettias are harmful if pets nibble on (or eat) the leaves, but there are a lot of other potential dangers to consider when making your holiday home pet friendly.

  • Decorations
    Tinsel can easily cause dogs or cat to choke, and ingesting artificial snow can result in intestinal blockage. It’s often tempting for our four-legged family members to play with ornaments, so be sure the ones you use are made of non-toxic materials and shatterproof.
  • Holiday Goodies
    Chocolate can be deadly for pets, as are the following common ingredients in holiday recipes: nutmeg, raisins, grapes, garlic, onions, walnuts, and macadamia nuts.
  • Alcohol
    Whether it’s light beer or holiday hot toddies, keep alcohol completely off limits for pets because it can quickly cause kidney damage and become fatal. For your pet’s sake, absolutely no New Year’s bubbly for Fido or Fifi!

Visit the Humane Society’s website for a complete list of foods that can be poisonous to pets and more tips on keeping your family pets safe during the holidays.