Are you and your family ready for hurricane season? Developing a disaster plan and building your hurricane kit do not need to be a chore. Turn your storm season prep into a family affair — here are some tips to help you get started.
The Great Hurricane Blowout’s website includes a “Home Hurricane Hunt” 30-minute family activity, plus a Kids Zone section that puts the fun in “Packing an Emergency Kit.” Check out these DIY family-friendly projects whether you have one hour, one day or one weekend to spare.
Is there a list maker in your family? Who better to create a Know Your Stuff® home inventory using free software from the Insurance Information Institute (iii). Your resident chef will appreciate the Great Hurricane Blowout’s Dine-in-the-Dark power-free recipes, and the family tech guru can have fun downloading these handy storm season apps.
- Red Cross Shelter Finder & Hurricane Tracker
- The Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH)
- FLASH Weather Alerts Customizable weather radio technology with safety tips and voice-enabled notifications
- Real-Time Traffic and Navigation
- Waze This social app reports traffic delays, accidents and nearby gas prices
- Hurricane Tracker
- Hurricane Tracker Tracking maps from the National Hurricane Center (NHC), plus National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio feeds
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- FEMA Disaster safety tips and a map with open shelters, including FEMA centers
Please take a few moments to watch our new Storm Season video especially for Tower Hill customers. The following resources are also available for you on THIG.com.
- Damage from Hurricanes: How to Protect Your Home (brochure & checklist)
- Hurricane Infographic
- Storm Tracker
- Learning Center articles to help you prepare: Hurricane Pet Safety, Storm Surge & Flooding, Hurricane Pop Quiz and more….
- Disaster Guides by Florida County